Environmental Consultant (Marine Mammals)
Royal HaskoningDHV is a Multi Disciplinary Consultancy with 8,000 staff operating from 100 offices in 35 countries. As an employer of choice we undertake a wide range of high profile, technically demanding projects and have developed a reputation for technical excellence, innovation and project delivery.
Marine mammal issues and their management is a key component within the planning and consenting systems for the majority of coastal and marine developments and activities. Issues such as noise impacts and collision risk are key to the understanding and approval, particularly within industries such as offshore wind and in the emerging tidal and wave energy sectors, where Royal HaskoningDHV is currently in a leading position.
We are looking for an Environmental Consultant, Marine Mammals specialist to continue on the good work that we are already providing in this area and to join our growing team. You could be based in Exeter, London, Peterborough, Newcastle, Edinburgh or Glasgow. You will already have a good knowledge and expertise in marine mammal biology and some understanding of coastal and marine renewable energy projects. We have a number of existing commissions where advice in this area is required and we are also looking for someone who can continue to grow our business and reputation in marine mammal science.
As a specialist in marine mammals, you will be expected to produce your own outputs for internal and external clients. And you may be expected to provide technical review of other work.
You are expected to have some understanding of legislation and appropriate scientific methodology and knowledge. You should also have links or the ability to build links with technical and academic organisations such as SMRU, SAMS and The University of Aberdeen.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
* Support the senior marine mammals consultant on projects as required
* Advise on impacts, mitigation, survey and environmental monitoring for marine mammals to internal and external clients
* Project Manager for small sized projects where appropriate, and lead a technical expert on such projects, or as technical lead on project teams managed by others
* Delivery of high quality advice, reports and other outputs in projects including Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Environmental Management Plans (EMP), strategic studies and the provision of planning and consenting advice
* To liaise and work closely with our environmental scientists and engineering specialists in the UK and international offices
* To support other team members in the preparation of proposals for specialist and multi-disciplinary projects in the marine and marine renewables sector, with focus on marine mammals
* Contribute to co-ordinated development of marine mammal and marine renewables business in the UK, with a focus on building both internal skills and relationships with established academic/technical organisations
* Support renewable energy business manager in the implementation of marketing initiatives that deliver with the overall Royal HaskoningDHV business development plan and further develop client list
* To represent and promote Royal HaskoningDHV within the environmental and wider consultancy marketplace through the preparation of literature, attending meetings, conferences and seminars
* Carry out any duties which you line manager may reasonable request within the broad parameters of your role
* Focus towards continuous personal development through learning and obtaining feedback both internally and externally, where appropriate
* To effectively use (with training) the Royal HaskoningDHV Quality Management System (QMS) and Environmental Management System (EMS)
* Good analytical skills
* Solutions-orientated approach
* Technical expertise that will complement the existing team
* Effective personal planning and organisation
* Be focussed on our customers' needs
* Sensitive to the Company's needs
* Strong writing skills
* Be able to perform in a team
Qualifications and Experience:
* BSc (essential) and MSc/PhD (essential) in marine biology or zoology
* Some experience of environmental consultancy (desirable)
* Some experience of project management (desirable)
* Knowledge of renewable energy market (desirable)
* Understanding of environmental law, the EIA process and relevant government policy (desirable), particularly relating to marine mammals (desirable)
* Environmental knowledge of the coastal and marine environmental (essential)
* IEMA or similar membership or chartered status (desirable)
* Financial management and administration experience (essential)
* Report writing and presentational skills (essential
* Experience of managing small project teams (desirable)
* Excellent communication, organisation and time management skills (essential)
* Ability to work on won initiative and also to work as part of a growing team (essential)
We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits including a contributory pension, discretionary company bonus, Health and Dental care, Life Insurance, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Job Type : Permanent
Location : Exeter, London, Peterborough, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Glasgow, Edinburgh
Salary : Competitie DOE
Date Advertised : 22 Nov 2012
Sorry, this position is no longer available.
Don't miss out again. Sign up for Jobs-by-Email and get the latest jobs direct to your inbox.